Saturday, September 26, 2020

Etched In Shadow Hill Cemetery


Thinking of this story and what made me pick it to read. At first I thought it was a teen book also as some reviewers mentioned. But soon realized no. I like the idea that it was a debut book. Which makes it easier to review. Many folks don't have an option until they read the story.
What brought my eye to it also a mystery of some sorts.

It is very much a coming of age book. But in an old fashioned way.
Here is a girl Justine that spends her summers with her Aunt Peggy and Uncle John. Helps them around the house. As all kids do they put feelers out to see if there is someone and somewhere to have fun, to connect with.
Justine befriends a girl name Eva. All summer long they pal around together Eva introduces Justine around. They have a connection. So sad end of summer comes that Justine goes back home. But something you never hear about much anymore that Justine and Eva write letters to each other. Until they reunite at the beginning of the next summer. 

Sadly something horrible happens to Eva. Eva is too scared to say anything. When Justine finds out she helps Eva. Which later on in Justine's life she gets inspired by the events with Eva and finds a career. Eva helps Justine get her life on track. Find the goodness in things.

Hanging out @ the cemetery, Farrah Fawcett haircuts,  love, break-up, hurt, and learning to make their lives count @ the end. Both girls find how important it is eventually having a husband and children of their own.

The book was a bit lengthy in the writing. Especially of the epilogue. It was nice to see Eva and Justine find happiness but somethings could have been explained earlier. I liked how authors named the chapters after songs. I knew how the characters would respond. A retro feel also.

I'm glad I got to read this book. And I believe like authors have said it is hard to write a great story.

I give Etched In Shadow Hill Cemetery 5 


 

No comments: