Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Death on the Nile

Another juicy Agatha Christie novel. I like the fact that the Hurcule Poirot's series is a series that need not to be read in order. Also liked how there was a nod in the story of Hercule Poirot from Murder on the Orient Express.

Death on the Nile is a good one to read. I had to stay alert to the characters and scene that was written. Not only did one mystery occur a second one happened in a matter of days. 

As Poirot started out he was asked about vacation, (holiday). And he said" How true is the saying that man was forced to invent work in order to escape the strain of having to think." Which I knew that Poirot's enjoyment is work. You know there is going to be a murder /mystery. For he does travel and finds work.

All kinds of characters on the trip of Egypt. I'm really not sure if there was any characters that stood out for me. Sure there were rich, not so rich, and ones that were just servants. I try not to guess what's going on because I want to be surprised. But this story was slightly predictable. The whole Linnet, Simon, and Jacqueline scene toward the end there, I know was bringing questions into my head. But Joanna, Linnet's friend, her aloofness was a bit to take til when I found out why she was so overly dramatic.
I like how Mrs Allerton was a kind of character that saw good in people and took to Poirot. She always believing there is happiness in the world. Even though "love can be a very frightening thing." " That is why most great love stories are tragedies"as Poirot would say. 
 Than there is always the servant's and elderly like Louise Bourget, Miss Bowers, Dr Bessner, etc.. that suspicion always fell on.
Again all characters were separate but intertwined at the same time. Three murders, and robberies all as one. Some as thinking why is character only have a small part? To find that they had something to do with the murders or robbery. The cold-bloodedness that strikes Race and Poirot to have the murders that some were thought have done is not ringing true.

Of course we have the interviews of Hurcule Poirot and Inspector Race. But we know who is going to solve these cases. Who made me laugh this time was Poirot. He had some doozy's. Like he likes an audience. "I must confess. I am vain, you see. I am puffed up with conceit. I like to say " See how cleaver is Hercule Poirot!"

The end of the story Mr. Ferguson, a character that portrayed to be something else said,"It is not the past that matters but the future." Hmm.. I wonder if Christie could see something in the future?

I give Death On The Nile 5 
I look forward to another Agatha Christie novel. Who knows where that will take me :)


No comments: