Thursday, September 24, 2020

A Thousand Splendid Suns

 


I've never read anything that was written of this author before. I've seen the movie of The Kite Runner. And like a lot of movies it's not the exact activity of the book. But the movie I liked. I decided I was going to read one of his books.

I actually enjoyed this story. Although very sad I seen some parallels of the middle east countries to ours, the United States. And found a lot of differences to make me think it's great to be an American (despite what the country's experiencing now).

How terrible it is to be sent away because of something that wasn't your fault. To grow up as Mariam did to hear not so nice things about her father. To find it's true. Even though Mariam's mother Nana, did call her names the whole situation just isn't right. It hurts! It's like her father Jalil's dirty little secret.

What a shame for Mariam to not be wanted after her mother dies to be married to someone that she doesn't even know.To move from across one part to another part of country. Let alone someone much older than she. Whatever became of Mariam's husband wife and child?

One most think after Rasheed's treatment of Mariam. Trying to please Racheed only not to be good enough.


The book is laid out in parts. I found myself by the third part I skimmed to the end and went back to fill in the gaps. I found it paid a lot of attention to Laila's life and family.

A family that taught Laila that it was important to have education as a woman to be a success. But as the story goes on finding she is normal in a sense with a boyfriend and still maintains her family life. There is tragedy. Where does she go? What happens to her boyfriend, mother, father?

There it begins coming in this household of Mariam and Racheed. She is told everyone is gone. She is nursed back to health only to be the next in line for a younger wife for Racheed. 

Laila lives this life. Does what she has to for Racheed. Unlike Mariam Laila will fight back to protect her children. And for that she finds her boyfriend Tariq.

They do have a life but not without consequences. Nothing goes smoothly without death and hardship. Shame that Mariam finds out this way that she was thought of kindly and loved.

And at the end a nice touch for Laila, Tariq, and family. To give back to the community from hardships.


I give A Thousand Splendid Suns 5 


I look forward to reading another Khaled Hosseni's books.


No comments: