Monday, January 25, 2021

American Dirt

 

"One of the very first bullets come in through the open window above the toilet where Luca is standing." That sentence alone drew me in thinking that this story is a hard look of what the migrants had to endure. But as I read I wasn't too impressed.
I looked to what others had to say about this book. And some were furious of the way this author wrote this book. And she not knowing first hand of what some went through. Especially I believe her grandmother being Puerto Rican. And she did more research rather than searching her own history.
Another said the book was about the plot, the surroundings.

For me I agree it was the layout of the grounds that the migrants had to go through to get where they wanted. I believe the characters, the main characters didn't stand out to me.
Lydia, Sebastian, and Luca a family from Acapulco. Sebastian a journalist. And Lydia who owned a bookstore living their everyday life who never lived in fear. For that I didn't get that raw sense of what the author was trying to convey.

Being that book is fiction, one needs to remember. So as I read I found that other characters around Lydia and Luca were very interesting. It got pretty bad for them. The journey that was traveled. The strength that they all had. Especially Luca. He might of went into this with a child's mind but when Lydia and he got to where they wanted Luca became so mature. So sad for the others not to make it. But cheering for those who did.

American Dirt was good. I give 4 



No comments: